- 1 pound ground beef (80/20)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 6 cups water
- 1 large tomato or 2 smaller tomatoes
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp. ground oats (or you could use bread crumbs)
- 1/4 cup queso fresco
- 3 tbsp. fresh parley, chopped (more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup medium grain uncooked rice
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup assorted vegetables (I used frozen carrots and peas)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- salt and pepper
Make the meatballs- In a medium bowl, mix together the beef with the eggs, oat powder, 1/2 onion, minced, queso freso, parsley, 1/2 tsp salt and dash of pepper. Use your hands to mix everything.
Make broth- In a blender, puree the tomato and the rest of the minced half onion. Add this to the soup pot and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring.
Add in oregano, cumin and cayenne and stir. Add in broth and water. Bring water to boil.
Form meatballs- Form the meat into small 1 inch balls and add each into the boiling broth. Add in vegetables and rice. Let boil for about 10 minutes and then lower to a simmer for about 40 minutes. Taste to see how much salt it needs. I used about 1 tsp since my stock was home made and not salted ut you might need more. Garnish with parsley and serve!